We’re getting closer to big movie season and after a slow February, March is starting shake off the frost and produce some nice hits.
* Coming in first this week was Home, grossing $54M. Not bad for the animated comedy without a ready made brand association.
* Finishing second with $35M was Get Hard. A decent opening for a comedy, but not what you want out of a combo of two of the supposedly biggest comedy stars of the day. Also, let me warn you that if you ever need to find a picture of the film “Get Hard”, do be careful with your Google search. Even “Get Hard Film” is not safe enough…
* Number three this week was Insurgent in its second frame with $22M. That’s a 58% drop indicating very little in the way of legs. We’ll see how things look in Week 3.
* Pulling in at #4 this week was Cinderella, grossing $17.5M. The Disney live action, which cost $95M to make, has now grossed $150M domestically and another $180M internationally for a nice box office success.
* Rounding out the top five this week was horror flick It Follows with $4M on just over 1000 screens. This movie just expanded so let’s see if it drops off like most horror films. It doesn’t look like the audiences will follow this one.